How Smart Automation, Intertool and C4I made Industry 4.0 tangible
At the trio Smart Automation, Intertool and C41, which took place in mid-May 2018 in Vienna, the exhibitors tried to make the Industry 4.0 and its possibilities tangible to over 20,000 visitors. There were numerous showcases about Smart Factory, networked products and new business models to marvel at.
In mid-May 2018, Messe Wien became the focal point of Austrian industry. From 15 to 18 May, three trade fairs - Smart Automation Austria, Intertool and C4I (Connectivity for Industry) - took place at the Vienna Exhibition Centre, presenting countless industry innovations and revealing important trends in this sector. The joint holding of Austria's only manufacturing technology trade fair for the metalworking sector (Intertool), the trade fair for industrial automation technology (Smart Automation Austria) and the new platform for the digitization of the industrial value chain C41 already shows a central development:
Manufacturing, automation and networking are growing together
The industry is developing in huge steps towards Industry 4.0, in which the most diverse areas are connected by digitization. Alexander Eigner, Category Manager at the organizer Reed Exhibitions, explains that the Intertool and Smart Automation Austria trade fair duo had already had a lively exchange between the events and emphasised: "The idea of including IT in the trade fair platform with its own event came from the market. In general, classic production methods, automation and networking are converging on the production lines. This opens up new opportunities in three respects:
- In the Smart Factory, a higher product quality is achieved, there is less waste, production line downtimes are avoided thanks to predictive maintenance and it is possible to offer batch size 1 at a cost comparable to mass production.
- Digitization enables the industry to produce intelligent and networked products and thus create added value for its customers.
- Thanks to the digital possibilities, the industry is able to open up completely new business models. Here, for example, the sharing economy plays a central role with the trend to use (rent) things instead of own (buy) them.
Innovations show new opportunities for industry 4.0
The exhibitors (250 at Intertool, 160 at Smart Automation and 44 at C4I) illustrated practical implementations from all three areas to over 20,000 visitors with their innovations presented at the trade fairs. Here you will find some exemplary innovations with which at least one, but often also more of the three opportunities mentioned above can be used:
- When the robot shakes hands with the human
- Travelling to the IoT world on the Lego train
- Individual products from mass production
Conclusion: How Smart Automation, Intertool and C4I madeIndustry 4.0 tangible
At the trade fairs Intertool, Smart Automation Austria and C4I all companies were present, which are well known in the domestic industry. No wonder, because the digital transformation of industrial production requires a networked interaction of all components, as one exhibitor put it. It is now clear to anyone involved in digitization that more will come out than the buzzer of the parts. What, nobody knows for sure. After all, industry is only at the threshold of this revolution.